Introduction to Life at L'Arche
If you are planning to apply to be a live-in assistant in one of our communities in Canada the following explanation may help you have a better understanding as to what is involved in your role as a live-in assistant.
Are you a person who wishes to:
- Be changed by your friendships with people with an intellectual disability?
- Change your perspective on what you value and how you see the world?.
- Gain confidence and competence as you develop new skills?
- Learn how to live and work with people who are different than you?
- Have an adventure in living and learning that just might change your life?
- Learn the importance of celebrating the little moments of daily life?
Life in a L'Arche community:
The key to life in L'Arche is being open to relationship. Assistants and core members (people with intellectual disabilities) create home and share their lives together in households of approximately six to eight people.
Days are filled with ordinary tasks of daily living: cooking, bathing, cleaning, laundry, shopping, accompanying people to medical appointments attending regular community meetings and events. Home life is the cornerstone of L'Arche. The evening meal, birthdays, and times of prayer are cherished celebrations that strengthen the bonds between people who live and work together.
Most people come with an initial commitment of one year. Assistants come with a broad range of backgrounds and qualifications. All new assistants participate in a program of orientation and training. Remuneration, benefits, days away and vacation time are provided.
As part of a team of 3 - 5 assistants, House Assistants coordinate and participate in caring for the members of the home, following government guidelines and the policies and procedures of L'Arche.
Potential assistants possess the following:
- Warm and friendly nature
- Easy to live and work with
- Effective communication skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Willingness to be a strong team member
- Willingness to change and be open to new experiences
- A good sense of humour is always appreciated in our homes!
If after reading this explanation you are motivated to be a live-in assistant at L'Arche and to contribute to the building of a vibrant community life, please click on the button below.